Thursday, February 9, 2012

Austin Advent -- The Corner Shoppe Mall

The Corner Shoppe Mall, on the way north side of town (5900 N Lamar Blvd, 78752) is a taxidermy shop. You have been warned!  
In 2000, a ratty stuffed lion greeted you
as you drove by on Lamar.
I was actually lured by the smiley face flag
(You can see it on the far left. Yes, I purchased it).

After you park, you will see an array of cow skulls.

Here, Robbie demonstrates that,
yes indeed, the horns are SHARP!
I would love to mount a set of horns on the front of my Prius, the way they do in Mexico on trucks. Maybe I'd get more respect on the freeway!

Inside, there is all sorts of stuff. It's been 11 years since I've been - I can't even remember! Cowhide almost anything - rugs, boots, belts, footstools... Snake items, including whole stuffed snakes. Tarantulas and scorpions in resin. Desire deer heads or antlers? I'm sure they have them. Various taxidermied critters, some quite, um, old and worse for wear. If you've done some hunting in one of those places in the Hill Country, they will mount your trophy for you.

Here is the cowhide belt that I still have.